As a young family focused husband and wife electrical team, we know the importance of making sure that your home is in order! We went through out home’s electrical systems in Kings Langley over the weekend and completed the following checks to ensure that our family is safe and comfortable.
1. According to NSW fire and rescue more then 43% of all fire fatalities occur in the winter months. Top tip 1 starts here. Check all your smoke alarms are in working condition (they have working batteries, I like to change the batteries in mine coinciding with daylight savings. April and October) and they are maintained You can do this simply by holding in the test button in the center of the alarm for three seconds… Be prepared for a loud high pitch screech (great for getting teenagers out of bed)!
2. With 56% of fires in the home starting in the kitchen take some time to check all your appliances and power points. Make sure that no have damaged cords or plugs. When you have finished with an appliance make sure you switch it off at the wall. This will help with your power bills. Now lets take a moment to talk serious safety
3. To prevent not only yourself but your loved ones as well from electrical shocks and potentially serious injury head out to your fuse box/ switchboard and look over your safety switches, you should have more then one. You will see a T button on the front of your safety switch. When you press this the switch will flick down and your power should shut off straight away. If it does GREAT, if not UH OH! Give your electrician a call and have them come and replace them… to reinstate your power again it’s as simple as flicking the switch back up!
4. Now last but not least we all know everyone loves the good old faithful space heater! Here are a few tips from NSW Fair Trading to keep you and your home safe this winter.
- Do not place the room heater too close to other furniture items in your home. The heat produced by the heater could ignite the other furniture or curtains
- Do not place clothing or other items too close to the room heater. Some materials burn very easily and could start a fire in your home.
- Do not allow children or pets to play, stand or sit too close to the room heater.
Now lots of people find that they can have these problems and you need to know how to deal with them to ensure they don’t wreck havoc on your life. Call an expert today and get a free safety inspection in your home. As a family we know the importance of safety so if you want us to come look over your home you can always reach us here!